[Dixielandjazz] This Is Ragtime

D and R Hardie darnhard@ozemail.com.au
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 09:58:38 +1000

Dear Dan,
                I'm glad you enjoyed the Waldo
book. I liked it too. I also liked Peter Gammond's
"Scott Joplin and the Ragtime Era" and I agree
with Don Kirkman's excellent extended list of
other sources. I recently saw a website dealing
with a Ragtime player called Blind Tom during a
Google search. The Blind Boone story is also
interesting.
               Incidentally the ODJB were not
alone in adapting ragtime tunes. When Bunk Johnson
heard Ory's band playing 'Ory's Creole Trombone'
he said something like: 'Sounds like Ory is trying
to play the Carbarlick Acid Rag.' His listeners
thought he had got the title wrong or at least
misspelled it, but a piece with that exact
spelling  was discovered. Later I found the score
of 'Carbarlick  Acid - Two Step' in the Tulane
Archive's Music collection. The second theme was
indeed  the same as the main theme of 'Ory's
Creole Trombone'. It says something about Bunk's
musical memory. It seems it was common practice ca
1910/13 for the early bands to make their own
versions of  what were then regarded as ragtime
tunes.

regards Dan Hardie

Check out the website at:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~darnhard/EarlyJazzHistory.html