[Dixielandjazz] gigs

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 22:01:59 +0100

>A gym with 3,000 dancers - boggles the mind.  How were the acoustics?

First nite the sound was atrocious, mainly 'cause they had cut our
monitor feeds!  I knew that, but stubbornly ignored it, as it annoyed me
so much that they had done such a thing after a very long sound check.

Second nite, there were some corrections made, and it was perhaps the
best sound we've ever had.  Real pros on the sound gear.   So, I should
have made my complaints known on the first nite.  I had just figured
they were clowns, and that was the best they could do.

The band was tiny in between monstrous towers of speakers, but the
on-stage sound was very clear.

Good gig, except for the 2.5 hr wait between two 45 min sets.  The money
was VERY good, so one doesn't complain.

Lighting on the dancers was all the flashing garbage, but we had steady
light on the band, and excellent video reproduction of the band members
on huge projection screens flying above.  Rock & Roll!

Jim