[Dixielandjazz] This Is Ragtime

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 13:46:40 -0600

     I wrote earlier that i had bought Terry Waldo's book _This Is
Ragtime_ (Da Capo, 1976) that Leon Oakley had mentioned as having
some quotations by Lu Watters. But it has a lot more than that,
obviously.
     I'm now immersed in the flow of other ideas and other kinds of
'jazz' musics that were mentioned in that book.  While i've been a
ragtime fan for over 30 years (i arranged 20 of Scott Joplin's rags
for brass quintet in the early 70's), i didn't know much about where
ragtime came from or about its early and modern practicioners.  I'm
now paying more attention to the music of our ragtime brethern (and
sistern--wait, that doesn't sound right).
     Here are some of the little nuggets i've found in Waldo's book:
1) John William ("Blind") Boone, a 19th-century black concert pianist
from Missouri, who played not only Beethoven but "raggy Negro music".
I find it fascinating that he "was able to duplicate, note for note,
any performance of music he heard, even down to the mistakes...."
2) Euday Bowman, a Kansas City composer who wrote not only the "12th
Street Rag", but rags named after other streets of that city, like
the "11th Street Rag" and "rags in blues forms that feature
unorthodox numbers of measures and very tricky bass figures."
3) James Scott, whose rags have been favorites of OKOM bands; Turk
Murphy said he was "the most exciting of the classic rag composers".
4) Eubie Blake, who not only wrote and performed many rags, but
studied with one of the subjects of my dissertation, Joseph
Schillinger, completing the four-year program in two years (and
paying handsomely for the privilege, i'm sure).
5) Joe Jordan, whose 1917 "That Teasin' Rag" "was taken note for note
by the Original Dixieland Jazz Band as part of their big hit, 'The
Original Dixieland One-Step,' without credit or compensation to the
author." One of his rags ("Half and Half", written in 1915) was
written in 5/4 meter.
6) Zez Confrey, who composed "Kitten on the Keys" among others, and
Waldo says that "Poor Butterfly" "should properly be played slowly
and sweetly by a choir of drunken soprano saxophonists." (Did Kenny G
read this book?)
7) Arlo Guthrie wrote "an excellent rag called 'Week on the Rag'"; i
seem to recall that he also wrote another rag called "Ring around the
Rosy Rag".
8) Maria Muldaur "explored the roots of ragtime with some of her
recordings, such as 'Work Song.'"
     As i have long been a fan of Muldaur's, but didn't have any of
her recordings, i bought the one called "Maria Muldaur" (Reprise CD
2148-2), which has on it not only "Work Song" (by Kate McGarrigle)
but "Any Old Time" (by Jimmie Rodgers), both of which would make fine
tunes for dixieland. Since i am nothing if not compulsive, i also
branched out and bought Jim Kweskin's Jug Band's Greatest Hits CD, a
CD by the Even Dozen Jug Band (with Maria D'Amato later Muldaur, John
Sebastian, Steve Katz, and Joshua Rifkin), and a double-CD by The
Memphis Jug Band.
     The study of ragtime is full of surprises.  I'm sure that reading
any good book on jazz history would also lead one out on multiple
side-journeys, but that's my point.  My interest in "tickling the
ivories" led me to discover an elephant-full of associated musical
pathways.

     Dan
--
**  Dan Augustine    Austin, Texas   ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu **