[Dixielandjazz] Cornet/Trumpet

Bob Romans cellblk7@attbi.com
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 09:15:59 -0600

For some of you may not know it, Tony Davis owns Max's cornet, A Conn Victor
Model...am I right, Tony...it IS a Victor isn't it?
Bob Romans
Cell Block 7
Jazz Band
1617 Lakeshore Dr.,
Lodi, California, 95242
Phone.....209-368-3255
Cell...209-747-1148
Fax...209-368-3255
WebPages..click below
www.cellblockseven2002.net
>=iii=<0

From: Tony Davis <tony@tony-davis.co.uk>
To: Pepett@aol.com <Pepett@aol.com>
Cc: DJML <dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com>
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Cornet/Trumpet
Date: Saturday, December 14, 2002 10:58 AM

Hi Perry,

I don't have time to research this fully at the moment, but to take a
specific case:  on the historic recordings by Lee Wiley of Gershwin songs
Max is listed as playing trumpet, but (as well as the aural evidence) one of
the photographs in the CD insert, taken at the session, clearly shows him
playing a Conn Victor cornet.

In the wonderful collection of photographs by Charles Peterson under the
title "Swing Era New York", there are several shots of Max.  At a rehearsal
during the autumn of 1938, again rehearsing in January 1939, at a jam
session in August 1939 and recording in March 1940 he's playing cornet.  At
Jimmy Ryan's in November 1941 and at a Carnegie Hall concert in January 1942
he's playing trumpet.

Of course the fact that he played one or the other on a specific occasion
doesn't mean that he was playing that instrument all the time - he may have
switched from one to the other depending on the line-up of the band or his
mood at the time.  And I can't say for certain from listening to a record
which instrument he was using - we've had this discussion before on the list
and I side with those who say the sound depends more on the player than on
the horn.

Regards,

Tony.

--