[Dixielandjazz] Arvell Shaw

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:53:50 EST

--part1_180.129098c3.2b27761e_boundary

In a message dated 12/10/02 8:31:46 AM Central Standard Time,
barbonestreet@earthlink.net writes:

> December 10, 2002 - New York Times
>
> Arvell Shaw, Jazz Bassist, Dies at 79
>
> By DOUGLAS MARTIN
>
>        Arvell Shaw, a swinging bassist whose thumping, straight-ahead
> style gave musical backbone to Louis Armstrong's genius for a
> quarter-century, died on Thursday at his home in Roosevelt, N.Y. He was
> 79.

    This one beautifully written sentence says it all about Arvell Shaw.

 I"ve been listening to his breat bass playing all of my life via Louis
Armstong's magnificent recordings.  I had the Decca "Satchmo at Symphony
Hall" whem it first came out in the late 40s and I recently purchased it
again on a CD reissue.  Arvell shaw's bass playing stands out on all of
Armstrong's recordings.

    Louis Armstrong's All-Stars rhythm section consisting of Arvell Shaw,
Billy Kyle and Barrett Deems was one of the best rhythm sections ever, in all
of jazz.  These recordings stand out and all have been reissued,
Louis plays W.C. Handy," "Satch Plays Fats."  "Ambassador Satch." ""Louis
Armstrong Live at the Crescendo".  If you don't have these, get
them...without further delay.  A good source probably is
www.worldsrecords.com

   Long Live Arvell Shaw.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_180.129098c3.2b27761e_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3>In a message dated 12/10/02 8:31:46 AM Central Standard Time, barbonestreet@earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">December 10, 2002 - New York Times<BR>
<BR>
Arvell Shaw, Jazz Bassist, Dies at 79<BR>
<BR>
By DOUGLAS MARTIN<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Arvell Shaw, a swinging bassist whose thumping, straight-ahead<BR>
style gave musical backbone to Louis Armstrong's genius for a<BR>
quarter-century, died on Thursday at his home in Roosevelt, N.Y. He was<BR>
79. </FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; This one beautifully written sentence says it all about Arvell Shaw.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>
 I"ve been listening to his breat bass playing all of my life via Louis Armstong's magnificent recordings.&nbsp; I had the Decca "Satchmo at Symphony Hall" whem it first came out in the late 40s and I recently purchased it again on a CD reissue.&nbsp; Arvell shaw's bass playing stands out on all of Armstrong's recordings.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Louis Armstrong's All-Stars rhythm section consisting of Arvell Shaw, Billy Kyle and Barrett Deems was one of the best rhythm sections ever, in all of jazz.&nbsp; These recordings stand out and all have been reissued, <BR>
Louis plays W.C. Handy," "Satch Plays Fats."&nbsp; "Ambassador Satch." ""Louis Armstrong Live at the Crescendo".&nbsp; If you don't have these, get them...without further delay.&nbsp; A good source probably is www.worldsrecords.com<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Long Live Arvell Shaw.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_180.129098c3.2b27761e_boundary--