[Dixielandjazz] THE GIG

Bob Romans cellblk7@attbi.com
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 19:47:31 -0600

Speaking of gigs, and yours WAS better than mine, BUT!! Get this!!
I was born and raised in the Seventh-Day Adventist church. NO Dancing, NO
jazz, NO dance music !!! I almost got kicked out of a SDA Academy for trying
to get the concert band to play "Always", by Berlin!! In 3/4 time for god's
sake! But it was a "Dance band" arrangement!!! That was in 1949....
Segue to 1957...I'm a junior in an SDA college in Chattanooga...I'm on the
2nd floor of the men's dormitory playing The Saint's with a piano player and
drummer, the men's dean comes upstairs LIVID!!!!! The three of us are taken
before the Faculty Board of Ethics!!!!!! Hell!! I'm 25 years old, a Korean
veteran, and I can't play the SAINTS!!!???
Segue to Dec. 5, 2002. my band, Cell Block 7, is booked to play at the
annual banquet of the LODI SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST ACADEMY at the River Mill,
a very up-scale venue outside of Stockton, California! The school principal,
the faculty advisors who were there, AND THE STUDENTS loved us!! Accolades
and kudos all around!! GOD!! Do I feel vindicated!!! I copied the check, and
I'm going to send copies of it to all of the former faculty members of the
schools of my youth who are still living and I can find addresses for! The
main thing...the HIGH SCHOOL KIDS LOVED US!!! Amazing!!
Bob Romans
Cell Block 7
Jazz Band
1617 Lakeshore Dr.,