[Dixielandjazz] Arranging LONG. Non Musicians should delete

Harry Epp heppkat@juno.com
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 18:33:00 -0500

Hi All:
This is in response to Paul Edgertons Missive.
The arrangements I write are very simple! I give the clarinet player a
lead sheet with the chords. He knows when the Cornet is playing the lead
he will play thirds above and fill on the 7th &8th and 15th &16th etc,
and when ever there is a whole note.

The Trombone I give a lead sheet with a bass clef added  with mostly just
chords In Concert C.. He is pretty much on his own except where there is
a particular part I want him to play. This is very important when I am
using tuba. I will write him tenths with the tuba or if I want power I
will double the tuba.
I might note here that Mike Starr with the GGRM is the greatest ensemble
trombonist I have ever heard!! He never steps on the clarinets or the
tuba players notes.

The Tpt or Cornet plays the lead the first time and for the out chorus
its pretty much jam! This will be difficult for non professionals. So
play the opening.

Now! When we are talking about Jelly Roll Morton or that ilk.
I will transcribe the parts and expect them to play them.as written.
I might note that Chris LaBarbera (the tpt player on my last CD)did a
fantastic job on trumpet and Cornet, not only with The JRM but the
Duke,Bix,and best of all LouisA.

I don't like to write drum charts because I am not a drummer so I give
him a road map with special parts cued.

I hope this has helped someone. I know  I could have used this help 50
years ago.
Respectfully Sunmitted
Harry Epp
Muskat Ramblers