[Dixielandjazz] Re: Evil Doings--Weekly Columns, Lamps

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 10:13:18 -0600

Don, Jim, and others--
    That's probably good advice about not writing a weekly column.  The following quotations come to mind:

    "Writing is easy; all you do is sit staring at a blank sheet
     of paper until the drops of blood form on your forehead."
                                       -- Gene Fowler

    "There's nothing to writing.  All you do is sit down at a
     typewriter and open a vein."  -- Red Smith

    However, the question arises in the enquiring mind as to what might be the 'proper' redesign of your musical instrument after you cease using it for that purpose.
    For instance, take my tuba ("Please!"), or better yet, one of my sousaphones.  Making a lamp out of it would necessitate buying a much bigger table to rest it on, and in turn a huge house to hold the table.  Perhaps it could better be turned into some other more functional design, such as a city sewer-system.  Unused bagpipes could be fashioned into fake love-objects for the confused octopus, and of course it is obvious what inutile kettledrums' new purpose in life could be.  Quite a nice column or two might be wrestled out of these conceits.

    Dan

--
** Dan Augustine - ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu             **