[Dixielandjazz] Putting things away

Don Ingle dingle@baldwin-net.com
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 16:41:41 -0500

Jim and Don -- you are so right.
Indeed - hard to toss out those kinds of things because they all filled with
memories. I have an old address book here with the addresses and phone
numbers of Red Nichols, Doc Cendardo, Bob McCracken, Matty Matlock, Eddie
Miller, Nappy LaMare,
Bobby Hammock,  Dave Rasbury, Art Hodes, John "Yutch" Harker, Red Murphy,
Dick Carey and so many others no longer here. Each name conjures up so many
fond recollections that to part with this scuffed and scruffy old address
book would be like closing a final chapter. I just won't -- couldn't -- do
it. They can plant me with it, but as long as I'm here it stays with me.
Immortaility only resides in the memories of others. Personal history is
always better than hearsay, and there's a lot of history in those names.
Don Ingle
----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Gumpert" <dongumpert@cox.net>
To: <JimDBB@aol.com>
Cc: "DJML" <dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Putting things away

The rolodex thing is indeed a difficult thing to "clean out."   We also have
cards that I can't bring myself to discard - two that immediately come to
mind are Rick Fay and Wild Bill (who has been "on the road" for 13 years
now)!  Getting rid of the phone cards is like closing another glorious
chapter of our lives.  One day, maybe I'll frame  them and display them on
the wall!
Sandy/Don Gumpert