[Dixielandjazz] unused intruments

Ron L'Herault lherault@bu.edu
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 12:45:11 -0500

A Williams tbone is a pretty valuable thing, but if there are lots of unused
instruments in your attic, why not donate them to a school or jazz camp?

Ron L
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Augustine" <ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 11:13 AM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Re: Evil Doings--Weekly Columns, Lamps

> Don, Jim, and others--
>     That's probably good advice about not writing a weekly column.  The
following quotations come to mind:

>     "Writing is easy; all you do is sit staring at a blank sheet
>      of paper until the drops of blood form on your forehead."
>                                        -- Gene Fowler
>
>     "There's nothing to writing.  All you do is sit down at a
>      typewriter and open a vein."  -- Red Smith
>
>     However, the question arises in the enquiring mind as to what might be
the 'proper' redesign of your musical instrument after you cease using it
for that purpose.
>     For instance, take my tuba ("Please!"), or better yet, one of my
sousaphones.  Making a lamp out of it would necessitate buying a much bigger
table to rest it on, and in turn a huge house to hold the table.  Perhaps it
could better be turned into some other more functional design, such as a
city sewer-system.  Unused bagpipes could be fashioned into fake
love-objects for the confused octopus, and of course it is obvious what
inutile kettledrums' new purpose in life could be.  Quite a nice column or
two might be wrestled out of these conceits.