[Dixielandjazz] Willis Conover

Anton Crouch a.crouch@unsw.edu.au
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:09:35 +1000

Hello all

The recent post about Willis Conover (Ellington and Nixon) and jazz on
Voice of America certainly brought back memories. I hadn't realised that
Voice of America broadcasts were not (still are not?) heard in the US of A.

Conover's style was unique. He talked very slowly and deliberately and I
can only guess that he adopted this approach on the assumption that his
audience was largely non English-speaking. The jazz was a bit "modern" for
my tastes but I listened every night.

When you're up-country in northern Thailand, a short wave radio is a
lifesaver. The things I most remember now are the smell of burning rice
stubble, the taste of nam pla, "Lilliburlero" on the BBC and Willis Conover
on Voice of America. It's strange how the "unimportant" things are the ones
we remember.

All the best
Anton