[Dixielandjazz] Jerry Fuller

Chuck Kercher ekercher@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 22:37:37 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C2489A.2F491F80

Thanks Jim,

    I had listened to Fuller with the Dukes of Dixieland and always =
admired his playing but recently heard a recording that he made with =
Teagarden that was just fantastic. I couldn't understand how or why he =
dropped out of sight. Barbering? So many players and so few barbers =
but?????? chuck
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: JimDBB@aol.com=20
  To: dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com=20
  Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2002 4:12 PM
  Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Jerry Fuller

  In a message dated 8/18/02 1:46:31 PM Central Daylight Time, =
dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:

    Jerry Fuller was from Santa Maria, CA, and studied with MA\atty =
Matlock as a
    young player. (He used to come down from SM to take his clarinet =
lesson at
    Matty's, and I would wait for his lesson to be over so I could go in =
and get
    my arranging lesson. We used to sit and talk with Matty and Lura in =
between.
    He worked with Jackie Coon, Jack Perciful, Ira Wesley, Gene Estes at =
the
    Hangover Club in Hollywood in early 50's where I would catch him, =
and we
    both used to sit in at the old Club 47 at times to learn from the =
good
    players that sat in there most any night of the week.
    Jerry worked with some good bands (Dukes and others,) but for some =
reason he
    didn't think he could make it in the biz and took up barbering. =
Moved to
    Boston area and cut hair and gigged on the side. We were all the =
poorer for
    that, but to this day he's still one of the better clarinetists =
around, with
    a warm, woody sound and some fine lines in his  solos.
    Last saw him at Sacro Fest when we sat on a street curb and drank =
"coupon"
    beer and talked about the times when we were, as Lura Mattlock =
called us,
    "Matty's boys!"
    Don Ingle