[Dixielandjazz] Strange Gigs

Randy Fendrick jfendrick@bak.rr.com
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 20:17:16 -0700

Several years ago we did a Labor Day gig at a country club where they put
the band onto a boat, filled it with beer and pulled us into the middle of a
pond just off the first tee.  We played for an hour or so, when we began to
feel the need to make it to the "head."  (navy talk)!  We began to chant
"pull the rope!"  as in a Mel Brooks film until the people in charge figured
out we needed some help and they pulled us in and we were able to relieve
ourselves.  When we returned to the boat, they have replenished the beer and
out onto the lake we went.  The rest of the night is not recoginizable, but
the check didn't bounce and no one got busted for drunk driving.  We played
the gig a year later and everyone had mellowed so the gig was much more
sober.
We also played a rugby club championship for several years where the
participants on the foot ball club were absolutely out of control.  The last
year we played the entire club brought their families and they were very
mellow.  Years before the beer flowed, the dancing took place, the group
screamed at the top of their lungs, everyone had a great time.  Anyway, the
last year,  was like an altar boys reunion.  Everyone extremely mellow, the
band is blasting away and trying to get the group excited.  Nothing worked
until the group picture was taken and the quarterback (I think that is what
he is called in rugby) turned around and dropped his shorts and flashed the
greatest BA you have ever seen!  The check didn't bounce that year either.
later,

-Randy Fendrick-
Bakersfield Symphony Orchestra
Southside Chicago Seven