[Dixielandjazz] Strange Gigs

Henry B. Stinson HenryStinson@earthlink.net, JazzHarmonicat@hotmail.com
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 22:34:38 -0400

Strangest gig I was ever on was at a nudist colony.
Played wearing nothing but my leather bandolero of harmonicas.
Bass player talked me into going there.  Said the band wore
clothes.  Well they didn't -- except him.  I figured what the heck,
I'll try anything once.

Wandering around a nudist colony is interesting.
I saw some human bodies I wish I'd never seen.

I went to use a pay phone and was surprised to
find I didn't have any quarters -- didn't have any pockets.  Zut!
Had to walk all the way back to my car and get some quarters.

Don't really plan to do that type of gig again.

Second strangest gig was in the middle of a lake.
A lake in Reston, Va, has a lot of these party barges,
10'x18' wooden rafts with tables and chairs, like floating decks,
plus some pontoon boats.  They all pay $35 to $45 each and
tie up together in the middle of the lake.  We have two empty
wooden rafts for the band, and one for a dance floor.  We've done
this annual "end of summer" boat party past two years and are getting
ready to do it again this Aug 23.  I've put together a 9 piece version
of my Blue Heaven Jazz Band for it.  Can't wait.  Kind of hard to check
who has paid.  Tickets don't work.  Last year they used glow necklaces
-- gave one to each boat that paid.

--
Henry Stinson, BSECE, Website Developer and Software Engineer (Visual Basic)
Vocalist, Jazz Harmonica, Jazz Whistling and "Mouth Trumpet".