[Dixielandjazz] Strange Gigs

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald@calweb.com
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 20:13:56 -0700

Steve Barbone related one of his more stranger gigs.  Here is one of mine.

Sometime in the 60s when the John Birch Society was pretty active, I got
hired to supply a Dixieland band for one of their picnics in the park.

It seemed to be a pretty ordinary picnic until we took a break.  During the
band breaks, they piped military type march band music through the P.A.
system.

Well that's OK, until, for a door prize, they gave away the biggest rifle
with the biggest telescopic lens you have ever seen.

Now, my question is, what is a political organization doing giving away a
rifle with a telescopic lens, for a door prize?

Bob
mr.wonderful@ringwald.com
Placerville, CA USA
Amateur (ham) Radio Station K6YBV