[Dixielandjazz] Custer's Band

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 20:54:12 EDT

--part1_7d.2b856f2d.2a846cb4_boundary

dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:

> While there, drive to Fort Abraham Lincoln. This was the home of the 7th
> Cavalry and it was from here that
> Col. Custer took his people to Little Big Horn. His C.O. quarters have been
> restored as it was the day he road off to pull the stupidist move in
> military history.
> Don Ingle

   Well, Don, in retrospect, Custer's Big Horn move would seem the ' stupist
move in military history.'  But at the time there was good reason for it.
What he didn't know was that there were 3000 Indians there and many of them
had new repeating rifles.
You know , don't you, that Custer had his own Regimental Band that went
everywhere with him.  He had them ( about 18 pieces, I believe) on white
horses.  For this particular expedition the Band didn't go because Custer was
short on horses and took the Band's horses.  Lucky them.

  Curmudgeonly yours, Jim Beebe

--part1_7d.2b856f2d.2a846cb4_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 8/8/02 3:58:22 PM Central Daylight Time, dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">While there, drive to Fort Abraham Lincoln. This was the home of the 7th<BR>
Cavalry and it was from here that<BR>
Col. Custer took his people to Little Big Horn. His C.O. quarters have been<BR>
restored as it was the day he road off to pull the stupidist move in<BR>
military history.<BR>
Don Ingle</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Well, Don, in retrospect, Custer's Big Horn move would seem the ' stupist move in military history.'&nbsp; But at the time there was good reason for it.&nbsp; What he didn't know was that there were 3000 Indians there and many of them had new repeating rifles. <BR>
You know , don't you, that Custer had his own Regimental Band that went everywhere with him.&nbsp; He had them ( about 18 pieces, I believe) on white horses.&nbsp; For this particular expedition the Band didn't go because Custer was short on horses and took the Band's horses.&nbsp; Lucky them.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; Curmudgeonly yours, Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_7d.2b856f2d.2a846cb4_boundary--