[Dixielandjazz] Custer's Band

David Richoux tubaman@wombat.net
Fri, 09 Aug 2002 15:35:39 -0700

Curmudgeon  Jim wrote (in HTML or Rich Text or something other damned that is not
Plain Text)

    dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:

           > While there, drive to Fort Abraham Lincoln. This was the home of the 7th
           > Cavalry and it was from here that
           > Col. Custer took his people to Little Big Horn. His C.O. quarters have been
           > restored as it was the day he road off to pull the stupidest move in
           > military history.
           > Don Ingle

   snip
      You know , don't you, that Custer had his own Regimental Band that went
      everywhere with him.  He had them ( about 18 pieces, I believe) on white
      horses.  For this particular expedition the Band didn't go because Custer was
      short on horses and took the Band's horses.  Lucky them.

 There is a modern recreation of that very band (sponsored by the Shrine To Music
Museum in Vermillion, South Dakota)  and they have a CD (not bad at all...)

you can check the details out at http://www.usd.edu/smm/Vinatierimusic.html

and it a GREAT FREE MUSIC MUSEUM!!  Well worth a detour from anywhere in the
"sticks" (at least if you are in Nebraska, Iowa, Minn, or the Dakotas anyway -
general information at http://www.usd.edu/smm/
Lots of OKOM related stuff in there, plus some of the oddest instruments I've ever
seen (and I have seen a lot of 'em...)

Yep!

Dave Richoux