[Dixielandjazz] MARSALIS AT THE PROMS

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 02:11:42 EDT

--part1_19c.6889261.2a82141e_boundary

jpettjazz@btinternet.com writes:

> For many, I think, it
> is the Blues that illudes them. You need to understand Blues to play the
> older styles of jazz. How many of the Marsalis men for example would play a
> Ma Rainey CD with a view to learning from it. Or Big Bill Broonzey.

   This is so true.  I apologize for agreeing with you so much, John.  I
wonder how many realize that the greatest Blues player and singer was Louis
Armstrong.  The Blues feeling permeates everything that Armstrong did.  I was
at a meeting of Delmark artists once.  Delmark has a top stable of Chicago
Blues and Jazz Artists and the owner, bob Koester, decided to have a general
meeting with both groups present.  There is no interaction in Chicago between
the Blues and Jazz musicians.
So here we were, two groups of musicians, strangers to each others groups.  A
discussion got going and at once point I interjected, " Well, Louis Armstrong
is the greatest Blues singer and player."  Man, these Blues guys didn't want
to hear that and there were howls of protest.  But it's true.

> Timing is all important and that is not easy to pick up. Interesting that
> two active players (Charlie and Jim) in the USA which spawned jazz are more
> in tune with my views than my two fellow countrymen Brian and Louis.
> cheers

John, I have to tell you that I am no longer active.  I quit playing and
bandleading a year and half ago or so.  My trombone sits over on a stand
looking at me and says, "don't you come near me..."   Charlie Hooks  is out
and about, still swinging.

   Mainly, I sit around and shoot off my mouth now.  I love the music and the
musicians and like to chatter on about it.  We have come through a great
period in the arts, encompassing the all around field of popular music which
includes jazz.  Most of the greats have come and gone but fortunately, we
have their recordings.  As the greats in classical music have come and gone
but we have their music in written form.

Jim Beebe

> John Petters

--part1_19c.6889261.2a82141e_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 8/6/02 1:11:26 PM Central Daylight Time, jpettjazz@btinternet.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">For many, I think, it<BR>
is the Blues that illudes them. You need to understand Blues to play the<BR>
older styles of jazz. How many of the Marsalis men for example would play a<BR>
Ma Rainey CD with a view to learning from it. Or Big Bill Broonzey.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; This is so true.&nbsp; I apologize for agreeing with you so much, John.&nbsp; I wonder how many realize that the greatest Blues player and singer was Louis Armstrong.&nbsp; The Blues feeling permeates everything that Armstrong did.&nbsp; I was at a meeting of Delmark artists once.&nbsp; Delmark has a top stable of Chicago Blues and Jazz Artists and the owner, bob Koester, decided to have a general meeting with both groups present.&nbsp; There is no interaction in Chicago between the Blues and Jazz musicians.<BR>
So here we were, two groups of musicians, strangers to each others groups.&nbsp; A discussion got going and at once point I interjected, " Well, Louis Armstrong is the greatest Blues singer and player."&nbsp; Man, these Blues guys didn't want to hear that and there were howls of protest.&nbsp; But it's true.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Timing is all important and that is not easy to pick up. Interesting that<BR>
two active players (Charlie and Jim) in the USA which spawned jazz are more<BR>
in tune with my views than my two fellow countrymen Brian and Louis.<BR>
cheers<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
John, I have to tell you that I am no longer active.&nbsp; I quit playing and bandleading a year and half ago or so.&nbsp; My trombone sits over on a stand looking at me and says, "don't you come near me..."&nbsp;&nbsp; Charlie Hooks&nbsp; is out and about, still swinging.<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Mainly, I sit around and shoot off my mouth now.&nbsp; I love the music and the musicians and like to chatter on about it.&nbsp; We have come through a great period in the arts, encompassing the all around field of popular music which includes jazz.&nbsp; Most of the greats have come and gone but fortunately, we have their recordings.&nbsp; As the greats in classical music have come and gone but we have their music in written form.<BR>
<BR>
Jim Beebe<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">John Petters<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_19c.6889261.2a82141e_boundary--