[Dixielandjazz] MARSALIS AT THE PROMS

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 02:20:32 EDT

--part1_7c.2c0f9ff4.2a821630_boundary

charliehooks@earthlink.net writes:

> > For many, I think, it
> > is the Blues that eludes them. You need to understand Blues to play the
> > older styles of jazz.
>
>     You know, John, I think that's a very important point.  In April of
> 1942
> I had just turned 13 and wanted to play jazz with the older guys who were
> playing in the clubs.  We had just gotten into the war, and so many draft
> age guys were leaving or already gone that it was indeed possible for a 13
> year old to get hired in a Texas beer joint.
>
>     Advice I got: learn to play the twelve bar blues.  Learn the chords so
> you just hear them automatically, so you don't have to think where you are,
> so you just know where you are without needing to think about it.  Simple
> now, isn't it.  We all do that.  Naturally.
>
>     Back then it was not natural at all: I remember blowing on the alto and
> having my father count beats silently to see whether I ended where I
> intended to end.  Knowing where the next chord would take me didn't happen
> until I began playing piano; then I could hear it.
>
>     I learned hundreds of tunes in the early forties, but learning to
> IMPROVISE came from playing the blues.  There wasn't any melody--not
> usually. You had to invent something. And it wasn't modes.  It wasn't
> scales. It was Ideas. Ideas succeeding one another, connecting and
> proceeding until, hopefully, a great chorus unfolded.  The blues talk to
> you, and make you say something in return.  Modes don't do that.  Scales
> don't do that.  You can play blistering showout-tempo modes and scales all
> night long and not say one damn word!
>
>     And then, there's the attitude.  "You can try hard/ Don't mean a thing/
> Take it easy, greasy/ And your jive will swing..."  You need to lie back on
> it (or, as my students all say, "lay" back on it) and let it happen.
> Forced
> swing doesn't swing.  All those riffs were a way of lying back on it, doing
> reps until it got right.  Remember Basie's long intros?  Piano and rhythmn
> play in front until it feels right, then dah--daht--dahh...and in comes the
> band: explosion!
>
>     I feel the difference especially when I'm reading familiar swing
> arrangements with younger musicians--often highly competent players who
> just
> can't make the music sound right.  Can't tell how much sense I'm making.
>
> Charlie

   Perfect sense.  That's why i reposted it with my response.  You said it so
well there is nothing i can add.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_7c.2c0f9ff4.2a821630_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 8/6/02 2:44:29 PM Central Daylight Time, charliehooks@earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">&gt; For many, I think, it<BR>
&gt; is the Blues that eludes them. You need to understand Blues to play the<BR>
&gt; older styles of jazz.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; You know, John, I think that's a very important point.&nbsp; In April of 1942<BR>
I had just turned 13 and wanted to play jazz with the older guys who were<BR>
playing in the clubs.&nbsp; We had just gotten into the war, and so many draft<BR>
age guys were leaving or already gone that it was indeed possible for a 13<BR>
year old to get hired in a Texas beer joint.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Advice I got: learn to play the twelve bar blues.&nbsp; Learn the chords so<BR>
you just hear them automatically, so you don't have to think where you are,<BR>
so you just know where you are without needing to think about it.&nbsp; Simple<BR>
now, isn't it.&nbsp; We all do that.&nbsp; Naturally.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Back then it was not natural at all: I remember blowing on the alto and<BR>
having my father count beats silently to see whether I ended where I<BR>
intended to end.&nbsp; Knowing where the next chord would take me didn't happen<BR>
until I began playing piano; then I could hear it.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I learned hundreds of tunes in the early forties, but learning to<BR>
IMPROVISE came from playing the blues.&nbsp; There wasn't any melody--not<BR>
usually. You had to invent something. And it wasn't modes.&nbsp; It wasn't<BR>
scales. It was Ideas. Ideas succeeding one another, connecting and<BR>
proceeding until, hopefully, a great chorus unfolded.&nbsp; The blues talk to<BR>
you, and make you say something in return.&nbsp; Modes don't do that.&nbsp; Scales<BR>
don't do that.&nbsp; You can play blistering showout-tempo modes and scales all<BR>
night long and not say one damn word!<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; And then, there's the attitude.&nbsp; "You can try hard/ Don't mean a thing/<BR>
Take it easy, greasy/ And your jive will swing..."&nbsp; You need to lie back on<BR>
it (or, as my students all say, "lay" back on it) and let it happen.&nbsp; Forced<BR>
swing doesn't swing.&nbsp; All those riffs were a way of lying back on it, doing<BR>
reps until it got right.&nbsp; Remember Basie's long intros?&nbsp; Piano and rhythmn<BR>
play in front until it feels right, then dah--daht--dahh...and in comes the<BR>
band: explosion!<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I feel the difference especially when I'm reading familiar swing<BR>
arrangements with younger musicians--often highly competent players who just<BR>
can't make the music sound right.&nbsp; Can't tell how much sense I'm making.<BR>
<BR>
Charlie </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Perfect sense.&nbsp; That's why i reposted it with my response.&nbsp; You said it so well there is nothing i can add.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_7c.2c0f9ff4.2a821630_boundary--