[Dixielandjazz] Marsalis concert

Chuck Kercher ekercher@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 12:56:18 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0063_01C23E11.D28F2D80

Re: [Dixielandjazz] Marsalis concertI don't know about Ron Dewar, either =
his looks or his playing, but if you like him Charlie, then I very much =
appreciate the comparison. I do suspect that your memory has improved =
both my looks and my talents.  I really liked Eric Schneider on your =
"Saturday Night Function" CD. chuck =20
  Ps Did you know Ron McCroby?

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Charlie Hooks=20
  To: DJML Dixieland Jazz=20
  Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 11:48 AM
  Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Marsalis concert

  on 8/7/02 12:52 AM, JimDBB@aol.com at JimDBB@aol.com wrote:

  Ron Dewar in Chicago  is no longer that young but he came out of the =
University rather a Coltrane clone but he has his own twist and he is =
also very much into classic traditional stuff.  He can play some of the =
most interesting and swinging tenor that I"ve every heard and turn =
around and play wonderful tradtional mode clarinet, and he sounds only =
like himself.
  Eric Schneider is another one.

     Boy, you've got that right!  I heard Eric in Lauderdale 20 years =
ago get into a cutting contest with Stan Getz and hold his own with no =
problems!  (Ira Sullivan was just looking on and grinning.)

     But Ron Dewar (pronounced, de WAR), another modern player, can turn =
and play trad as well as anyone I've heard.  Main reason: sheer talent; =
but other reason: he loves it!  A very quiet together man, he looks and =
behaves much like Chuck Kircher thirty years ago, same hair, same =
demeanor.   Sounds a lot like Chuck, too.    =20

  Charlie=20

------=_NextPart_000_0063_01C23E11.D28F2D80

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Re: [Dixielandjazz] Marsalis concert</TITLE>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I don't know about Ron&nbsp;Dewar, =
either=20
his&nbsp;looks or his playing, but if you like him Charlie, then I very =
much=20
appreciate the comparison. I do suspect that your&nbsp;memory has =
improved both=20
my looks and my talents.&nbsp;&nbsp;I really liked Eric Schneider on =
your=20
"Saturday Night Function"&nbsp;CD.&nbsp;chuck&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">Ps Did you know Ron McCroby?</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dcharliehooks@earthlink.net=20
  href=3D"mailto:charliehooks@earthlink.net">Charlie Hooks</A> </DIV>
  title=3Ddixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com">DJML Dixieland Jazz</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, August 07, =
2002 11:48=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Dixielandjazz] =
Marsalis=20
  concert</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>on 8/7/02 12:52 AM, <A=20
  href=3D"mailto:JimDBB@aol.com">JimDBB@aol.com</A> at <A=20
  href=3D"mailto:JimDBB@aol.com">JimDBB@aol.com</A> wrote:<BR><BR><FONT =
size=3D2>Ron=20
  Dewar in Chicago &nbsp;is no longer that young but he came out of the=20
  University rather a Coltrane clone but he has his own twist and he is =
also=20
  very much into classic traditional stuff. &nbsp;He can play some of =
the most=20
  interesting and swinging tenor that I"ve every heard and turn around =
and play=20
  wonderful tradtional mode clarinet, and he sounds only like =
himself.<BR>Eric=20
  Schneider is another one.<BR><BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Boy, you've got =
that=20
  right! &nbsp;I heard Eric in Lauderdale 20 years ago get into a =
cutting=20
  contest with Stan Getz and hold his own with no problems! &nbsp;(Ira =
Sullivan=20
  was just looking on and grinning.)<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;But Ron =
Dewar=20
  (pronounced, de WAR), another modern player, can turn and play trad as =
well as=20
  anyone I've heard. &nbsp;Main reason: sheer talent; but other reason: =
he loves=20
  it! &nbsp;A very quiet together man, he looks and behaves much like =
Chuck=20
  Kircher thirty years ago, same hair, same demeanor. &nbsp;&nbsp;Sounds =
a lot=20
  like Chuck, too. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR><BR>Charlie</FONT>=20
</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0063_01C23E11.D28F2D80--