[Dixielandjazz] Re: "When the rest of the band stops playing, you shouldstop

Ron Fink ron_fink@msn.com
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 12:11:15 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C23AE6.DDAD33C0

I have been "out of pocket" when the discussion of losing OKOM on the cab=
le, etc.was covered.  What was the outcome?  I luckily have DISH and thei=
r New Orleans channel (929) plays 2 out of 3 good tunes.  The 3rd one is =
usually zydeco.  If Dish Direct buys out Dish, is there a possibility of =
losing this channel?  I'd rather have the TV than the internet.  Can anyo=
ne enlighten me?  Thanks,
Ron =20
 =20
----- Original Message -----
From: David Richoux
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2002 3:12 PM
To: dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Re: "When the rest of the band stops playing=
, you shouldstop too..."
 =20

Bill Gunter wrote:
> =20
> Yo!
> =20
> > > "When the rest of the band stops playing, you
> =20
> Sort of a nice definition of music:
> =20
> "Music is just one damn note after another!"

Song endings are always important. "And That's Jazz" uses a lot of differ=
ent ways to
finish, from an abrupt cold button, 4 or 8 bar tags, even a few triple Ch=
arlestons
that have the dancers really paying attention ;-)

I think , every once in a while,  it is OK to have a goofy multiple trick=
 ending or
breakdowns with some, or all of the instruments taking a quick break, lea=
ding to a
final "final" ending (I have many records of many bands doing such a thin=
g )
especially if it was a fun song to begin with. Devil Mountain Jazz Band i=
s famous
for doing fun endings.

Again, I am not saying tricks work on every song, or for every band - but=
 they can
be a option...
and it usually is best if they are worked out ahead!

Dave Richoux

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C23AE6.DDAD33C0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>I have been "o=
ut of pocket" when the discussion of losing&nbsp;OKOM on the cable, etc.w=
as covered.&nbsp; What was the outcome?&nbsp; I luckily have DISH and the=
ir New Orleans channel (929) plays 2 out of 3 good tunes.&nbsp; The&nbsp;=
3rd one is usually zydeco.&nbsp; If Dish Direct buys out Dish, is there a=
 possibility of losing this channel?&nbsp; I'd rather have the TV than th=
e internet.&nbsp; Can anyone enlighten me?&nbsp; Thanks,</DIV> <DIV>Ron&n=
bsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PAD=
DING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-=
RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial">----- Original Message -----=
</DIV> <DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt Arial; COLOR: black"=
><B>From:</B> David Richoux</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Sent=
:</B> Friday, August 02, 2002 3:12 PM</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Aria=
l"><B>To:</B> dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10=
pt Arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Dixielandjazz] Re: "When the rest of the b=
and stops playing, you shouldstop too..."</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><BR><BR>=
Bill Gunter wrote:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Yo!<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; "When =
the rest of the band stops playing, you<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; should stop=
 too, even if you have notes left to play."<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Sort of a ni=
ce definition of music:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; "Music is just one damn note aft=
er another!"<BR><BR>Song endings are always important. "And That's Jazz" =
uses a lot of different ways to<BR>finish, from an abrupt cold button, 4 =
or 8 bar tags, even a few triple Charlestons<BR>that have the dancers rea=
lly paying attention ;-)<BR><BR>I think , every once in a while,&nbsp; it=
 is OK to have a goofy multiple trick ending or<BR>breakdowns with some, =
or all of the instruments taking a quick break, leading to a<BR>final "fi=
nal" ending (I have many records of many bands doing such a thing )<BR>es=
pecially if it was a fun song to begin with. Devil Mountain Jazz Band is =
famous<BR>for doing fun endings.<BR><BR>Again, I am not saying tricks wor=
k on every song, or for every band - but they can<BR>be a option...<BR>an=
d it usually is best if they are worked out ahead!<BR><BR>Dave Richoux<BR=
ling list<BR>Dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com<BR>http://ml.islandnet.com/ma=
ilman/listinfo/dixielandjazz<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C23AE6.DDAD33C0--