[Dixielandjazz] Re: reality/truth cum genius/jazz

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Thu, 01 Aug 2002 09:02:51 -0500

on 8/1/02 7:21 AM, Don Ingle at dingle@baldwin-net.com wrote:

> The idea of music not being
>> physical is like saying a beautiful rainbow and or sunset is not physical

    No.  The "Idea" of music not being physical is like the "Idea" of beauty
connected with the sunset or with anything else.  You are not following me
here, people!  Of course the physical material motions by which music is
conveyed are all physical, like the vibrating waves of color in a sunset.
That was not the question.

    Notice this curiousity: we have so far abandoned the Universals that the
"Idea" of a thing is now confused with the nominal manifestation of the
thing in physical terms.  In other words, use the term "Idea" in the sense
I'm using it, and people don't know what the hell I'm talking about.  This
has nothing to do with intelligence and everything to do with the last few
hundred years of Nominalism.  Realism (in the mediaeval sense) has so far
fallen from fashion as to be unintelligible.

    Charlie (with all the good advice, which La Rouchefoucualt said was what
a man gives when he's too old to set a bad example) Hooks