[Dixielandjazz] Re: reality/truth cum genius/jazz

Don Ingle dingle@baldwin-net.com
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 08:21:03 -0400

Genius and Jazz
Mozart's talent was both natural and learned. Remember, he was the son of a
musician of rather good credentials and the music was all around him daily
from birth to age 4
It takes an infant a number of years to acquire the physical skill to do
many things, a mechanical development of hand, eye coordination. Infants do
not, for example, walk from birth, assemble things by hand, and do other
tactile operations until their body catches up with their mind. And some
take longer than others for their genius to develop and blossom, and again
adding the learning process to the equation.
There is also the factor of defining genius. By I.Q.? Many have I.Q.'s off
the chart and never add much to the basic advancement of man's knowledge (or
woman's). Others who may not qualify for Mensa may create things to advance
our knowledge, ease our lives, enrich our culture.
Yet may never meet the so-called rank of provable genius.
Mozart -- genius yes, but also the added exposure to music early on helped
develop the innate talent.
Genius is not a carryover, either, to other areas.  One may note that
Einstein was, by his own admission, a poor student of math, and in fact
flunked it in his early schooling. Math was something he had to learn to
express his concepts of the universe, but his math skill was a mechanical
process rather than a gifted one. His genius was in his concept, not his
manner of expressing it.
We all know jazz players who display awesome talents in this genre, yet away
from the horn or stand, seem unable to display any great skills in other
areas. Are these true geniuses -- or merely talented players within a skill
area in which they found a niche to match that skill? Not for me to judge.
But I am uneasy with hanging the title of genius on people as we may
overstate on some and neglect to display respect to others.
Interesting thread...and it does, in a round about way, have a jazz
connection. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out!<G>
Don Ingle (I.Q. at college tested level, 139.DAMN! Missed it by a couple
points!! Duh! Back to the primeval ooze.)