[Dixielandjazz] Re: reality/truth

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Thu, 01 Aug 2002 09:22:26 +0000

Hi Charlie and all,

Charlie writeth . . .

>     Music, for example and to legitimize this thread, is conveyed by
>physical means, but the Idea of Music is not physical, does not proceed
>from
>the physical but only by means of the physical.

I think I gotta take issue with this position. The idea of music not being
physical is like saying a beautiful rainbow and or sunset is not physical .
. . The thought occurs to me that the relationship of frequencies (for
example doubling a frequency produces an octave) to one another ultimately
produces music as we know it from a western point of view. Music as a
harmonious sound to our ears is a combination of frequencies which blend
(just as sunsets are beautiful for the same reason).

I'm presently in an internet cafe in Edinburgh and wish I could spend more
time developing this thesis but I'll amplify on it when I get back home.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Love Them Harmonics" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com

Mozart at age 4 was a