[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland, or....

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Sat Mar 18 13:26:45 EDT 2023

Gordon, you shouldn't just go back to lurking.  When everyone lurks, there
is no discussion!

My band, now in its 56th year playing in Spain, and in particularly in
Madrid, has long used the following heading on our Promotional blurp (here
translated into Engish):   "Dixeland Jazz, New Orleans Jazz, Traditional
Jazz..different names for the same music.  A Music created in New Orleans
and represented in Spain during the past 56 years by the CANAL STREET JAZZ
BAND".

We play mainly for a non-Jazz orientated crowd, and we like to mix our song
list up with old, more traditional tunes, and include songs right up to the
1960's.  That way, we can introduce some of the earlier songs while keeping
the audience pleased with melodies they might be more aware of.  Also, it
has been a way of keeping all the members of the band happy, by including
all the different tastes we all have in music styles.  I mentioned yesterday
adding a 2nd song made popular by Elvis Presley.  We also play The Pink
Panther, The Flintstones, A Smooth One (Benny Goodman), Lil' Darlin',
Watermelon Man, On the Street Where you Live...and many more that are not in
the "Dixieland" song list normally.

Maybe not everyone's idea of a good plan, but it has worked for us in the
area in which we function.

Jim

P.s. Here's our setlist for tomorrow night as an example = an approx one hr
20 minute show :

DINAH				Ab
MY BLUE HEAVEN		Eb
THAT'S A PLENTY		 F/Bb
THE MOOCHE			Cm/Eb
MACK THE KNIFE		C/Eb/F
BLUES MY NAUGHTIE		Bb
STARS FELL ON ALABAMA	C
MR. SANDMAN			Bb
ST. LOUIS BLUES		G
SOME OF THESE DAYS		F
SHOUT EM AUNT TILLIE		Dm
TIGER RAG			Bb/Eb/F
Encores:  What A Wonderful World, or maybe Hoagy's New Orleans, followed by
The Saints