[Dixielandjazz] BBC Boo Boo Clothears

ROBERT Calder serapion at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 23 01:36:23 EST 2023

BBC Sautland Philisterchronic  (not to be confused with any musical
organsation).

A bit of fun for me, sending the note below answering a berk called
Becket who seems to approve removing jazz from BBC Scotland. (More and
very Scottish necks are on the block of the verdigris-collar gang).I
wonder what would have been the result of mentioning to band members the
fact that the grandson Ellington band in the Pavilion Theatre in Glasgow
(Hodges replaced by the same young man who was the Cannonball in Nat
Adderley's ensemble in the fruitmarket) had in me and some others been
at the Odeon hearing the then very new FAR EAST SUITE in 1967. The same
scores turned up in the Pavilion.

In 1967 we had Cootie Williams in "The Shepherd" (Ellington's
announcement of the number had me thinking the item was called "Night
Flock".  Unlike in reviewed performances down south Cootie was on
splendid form, and Russell Procope! Paul Gonsalves alas made me think of
Ornette Coleman with one of the varitones being used at that time,
taking the music an octave down  (I last heard of that  contraption from
Lol Coxhill, wandering Greenwich Market unaccompanied, except for the
four man audience in the rain, and pausing to rearrange the variously
coloured rubber bands on the soprano he was trying to earn enough money
to render playable without them -- latterly he'd been baritoning using a
tenor and varitone in the then current Glenn Miller ghost band!).  I
first met Lol in Portobello Town Hall (Edinburgh) in 1969 with Otis
Spann  --  who plays piano and sings  on the link below (above my little
rejoinder) -- in 1960 there had been some sort of riot threatening the
Newport festival's future and Langston Hughes wrote the lyric. I
remember Stephane Grappelli in Glasgow Theatre Royal cheering on
opponents of earlier plug-pulling (Chamber Orchestra?) at Queen Margaret
Drive!

(30) Goodbye Newport Blues (Live At Newport Jazz Festival/1960) -
YouTube <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3_7J1DokkI>

ciao!
Roberto

MY REJOINDER (TAKE 2)
I was trying to reply when an ad from some Yahoo company (cf. Gulliver's
TRAVELS) gazumped my intended rejoinder. The phrase "dreadful row" in no
wise represents anything in the music of for instance Johnny Hodges or
Billy Strayhorn, whether it is of any interest to Billy Boy it seems. It
might leave Father William cold, but a centenary concert organised and
performed by Prof. Robert Watson as part of an official (not merely
jazz) Edinburgh Festival some fifteen years ago marked also the fortieth
anniversary of Hodges' final performance in Scotland, but only in
Glasgow. It had been intended to bring Hodges and his fellow
sexagenarians in the Duke Ellington Orchestra to the Usher Hall, but the
Headinburrow management jacked up the hall fees ruling that out, all
because of damage sustained by the building (1966?) during a concert or
two by an ensemble some Edinburgers seemed to relate promiscuously with
Ellington, who did perform again only half a dozen years later, by which
time Hodges was dead, although there was Joe Temperley, probably more a
hero of New York than of his native Kelty, with a Lincoln Center
Orchestra playing "Single Petal of a Rose" on bass clarinet, Joe deputy
and eventual successor to Ellington's longtime baritone saxophonist, who
was in the Usher Hall in the early 1970s. The ensemble Edinburgh
authorities confused with the it seems posthumously rehabilitated Hodges
and his colleague Strayhorn proved more lucrative. Does citizen Becket
like the Beatles?  Or is his reference to "dreadful row" a learned
allusion to the twelve-tone row (rhyming rather with dough than dhow) of
Arnold Schoenberg?
RRC.