[Dixielandjazz] Still honking in Madrid!

Paul Kurtz Jr phktrumpet at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 11:33:58 EST 2022

Jim, I’m still honking in Jacksonville, FL. I inherited 2 playing groups during Covid and one group which suspended for 2 years is now started again. Actually in a sense, I’m playing in 4 groups as one has both a concert band and a jazz component.
concert Band, and attached to that, The River City jazz Band.

An interesting component of the jazz band is that I’m now working to read jazz charts in Braille. In my past and present, as did Bob, I’ve played by ear for a lifetime. I never asked Bob if he could read Braille music but just naturally figured he could, given his capabilities. I’ve always read concert band music in Braille and memorized it, but this is my first run at orchestrated jazz music. It’s been fun and educational. Every once in a while, I’ll read something and then play it and then say, “Oh, that’s how that looks in print!” because I’ve heard the rhythms and pieces but not actually looked at the music till now.

When my 4th group starts back, I’m not sure what I’ll do as I’ll be getting pretty busy. But, I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

So far, all of these gigs and groups are service groups with nonprofit corporation components. Since i recently spent some solid money on a new D/E Flat trumpet, I wouldn’t mind a paid endeavor here and there, but I’ll pay my dues, keep playing, keep learning, keep serving, and enjoy all I can. It was worth it to play a Christmas gig, 18 December, where we had about 200 people and per a band member, all of them had walkers. It’s harder for those people to negotiate auditoriums and all of that, and I’m glad we could provide music for them.

Jim, I’m not targeted Madrid yet in my life, but if I ever am, I’ll be face to facing you for sure to spark some fun.
Paul Kurtz Jacksonville, FL
I’m playing in The bold City Brass, a brass group, The Recycles orchestra, a concert band/orchestra, the River City