[Dixielandjazz] AWARS in PARIS | Enthusiastic reviews JAZZ KANGAROOS | Tour 2021

ChrisHopkinsJazz info at HopkinsJazz.com
Tue Mar 16 14:00:17 EDT 2021

E-Mail: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com

New contact information?

New major AWARDs in PARIS:

The new "Piano Kings" album by French master drummer Guillaume Nouaux
together with the international soloists Chris Hopkins, Rossano Sportiello,
Louis Mazetier and others has just been awarded two of the most prestigious
French jazz prizes in Paris:

"PRIX JAZZ CLASSIQUE 2020" de "l'Académie du Jazz" (founded 1955)

 <http://www.academiedujazz.com/palmares-2020.html>
http://www.academiedujazz.com/palmares-2020.html

"GRAND PRIX DU DISQUE 2020" du "Hot Club de France (founded 1932)

<http://www.hot-club.asso.fr/debatnew.php?nl=868&fbclid=IwAR3I2KhE-e9Nv0P7ae
37GTCTiIg0nTFcTkVKkW3eWRI_18h4I0Gc9iBdXe0#868>
http://www.hot-club.asso.fr/debatnew.php?nl=868#868

Other winners and finalists in other categories are:
Maria Schneider, Joshua Redman, Brad Mehldau, Christian McBride, Brian
Blade, Fred Hersch,
Andreas Schaerer, Grégory Privat, Paul Desmond, Art Blakey & The Jazz
Messengers,
Dave Blenkhorn, Harry Allen, Wycliffe Gordon, Jean-Pierre Bertrand and many
others - Congratulations!

Recently - also in Paris - the new album

 CHRIS HOPKINS meets the JAZZ KANGAROOS: LIVE! Vol. 1

received the "Couleurs Jazz Hit":

>A team whose homogeneity makes a significant contribution to the success of
a project, which values a tradition that is far from evoking a sterile
reconstruction of the past and at the same time fits our time in the most
authentic way.<

NEW ALBUM

* Relaxed, timeless, entertaining, classy, swinging *

 CHRIS HOPKINS meets the JAZZ KANGAROOS: LIVE! Vol. 1

Tour & CD-Presentation:

27. September - 19. October 2021

AUDIO:
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lj0tu6y0PR5rrDS_PR_Apb1rNas6L
fCYA>
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lj0tu6y0PR5rrDS_PR_Apb1rNas6Lf
CYA

VIDEO:
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1vPBv6Q36oH0OOTPzTyZZgYAAqe1xCqg>
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1vPBv6Q36oH0OOTPzTyZZgYAAqe1xCqg

<https://shop.echoesofswing.com/cgi-bin/his-webshop.pl?f=NR&c=84&t=temartic>

Available directly from the artist:
<https://shop.echoesofswing.com/cgi-bin/his-webshop.pl?t=temindex_en>
https://HopkinsJazz.com/shop

or through: Amazon, iTunes, Spotify, Deezer, TikTok, Apple Music uva.

"Jazz Kangaroos" press coments from around the world:

DAN MORGENSTERN (USA)

(the doyen of American jazz critics, former chief editor of DOWNBEAT
magazine as well as
director of the INSTITUTE OF JAZZ STUDIES at Rutgers State University and
multiple GRAMMY winner)

>Love the Jazz Kangaroos! Every tune is among my favorites.<

COULEURS JAZZ (France)

*** AWARDED the COULEURS JAZZ HIT in Paris! ***

>A team whose homogeneity makes a significant contribution to the success of
a project, which values a tradition that is far from evoking a sterile
reconstruction of the past and at the same time fits our time in the most
authentic way.<

Mit 4 Sternen**** für Musik und Klang ausgezeichnet
FONO FORUM (Germany)
>Entspannte Leichtigkeit. Erfrischend unprätentiös<

GÖTZ ALSMANN, Entertainer/Jazz-Connaisseur(Germany):

>Großartig!<

Mit 4 Sternen**** für Musik und Klang ausgezeichnet
STEREO (Germany)
>Ein mächtig swingendes Live-Stelldichein.<

Mit 4 Sternen**** ausgezeichnet
JAZZ JOURNAL INTERNATIONAL (Great Britain)
>All in all, highly enjoyable small-group jazz of top quality, with more
volumes presumably to follow.<

BEST ALBUMS OF THE YEAR - TOP 5!

JAZZ HOT CLUB du BASSIN d’ARCACHON (France)

THE JAZZ RAG (Great Britain)

>Pure delight throughout:

American multi-instrumentalist Chris Hopkins, based in Germany, here plays
piano in the company of an Australian trio on a live session from Hattingen
in 2019. Throughout the album Hopkins never loses his sense of melody, even
when he turns on the after-burners... This is the perfect ‘live’ recording.
Sound quality is good, the performance has an immediate freshness and, best
of all, there is a palpable sense of enjoyment between players and audience
– which inevitably spreads to the CD listener. Roll on, Volume 2!<

CRESCENDO (Germany):

>Entspannt, packend und zeitlos<

Mit 5 von 5 Sternen**** ausgezeichnet

ACTION JAZZ (France)

>'Can’t we be friends' begins the album, a question to which we immediately
answer yes! To have such friends offering you their talent would be a
chance.
The American pianist and leader Chris Hopkins, living for a long time in
Germany, is a master of the genre.
Pure Swing, always alert. Very good classical jazz, for all audiences<

Mit 5 von 5 Sternen**** ausgezeichnet

IN MUSIC (Germany)

>Ein virtuoser und begeisternder Vocal-Swing Jazz, wie man ihn so furios
selten live zu hören bekommt.<

WAZ KULTUR (Germany)

>Die unbändige Freude, mit der sich das Quartett durch das American Songbook
und Eigenkompositionen spielt, dabei die unterschiedlichsten Stile
auskostet, überträgt sich magisch auf den Hörer.<

JAZZ QUAD (Belarus):

>Great sound, dynamics and swing, and it seems, the musicians themselves
received no less pleasure from the performance than the audience. Judging by
the fact that Vol.1 is mentioned in the title, allows us to hope for the
release of new albums of this project in the future.<

JUST JAZZ MAGAZINE (Great Britain)

>Chris Hopkins is an extremly talented Pianist.

An excellent and well recorded CD. Highly recommended.<

JAZZ SOCIETY OF PENSACOLA (USA)

>A fun CD which should appeal to a wide audience, especially those who love
melody and swing.<

SWINGING HAMBURG JOURNAL (Germany):

>Locker und relaxt in einer so mitreißenden Interpretation, die sofort
gefangen nimmt und belegt, dass es Jazz gibt, der ganz eindeutig klassische
Musik ist, ohne den geringsten Anflug von Nostalgie:

frischer, zeitloser Jazz mit swingend-intelligenten Improvisationen.<

NYHETER (Norway):

>Empathic and great swing music anno at any time. When it is performed by
four front-end musicians who obviously love this music, it is easy to have
fun and find this as a travel companion for dark and sour autumn evenings.
Otherwise in the year also by the way.<

DOCTOR JAZZ MAGAZINE (The Netherlands):

>The kangaroos are distinguished by a wide variety of styles and influences.
We also know pianist Chris Hopkins as the alto player of his chamber jazz
combo Echoes of Swing. While his alto usually sounds full, round and
lyrical, his piano playing is playful and adventurous. George Washingmachine
also sings, when was the last time you heard a vocal version of Russian
lullaby? When he dims the lights - 'When Lights Are Low' - Tony Bennett
appears to be grinning broadly in the shadows.<

OBERALLGÄU KULTUR (Germany)

>Witzig-spritziger und lässig-origineller Gypsy Swing<

ERA JAZZU (Poland)

>An excellent opportunity for good swing fun, in which both cheerful songs,
jazz standards and the mood of jazz introduce the joy of making music
together.<

CD HOT LIST (USA)

>A relaxed and decorous jazz celebration with an unusual lineup. Highly
recommended.<

SWING FM (France)

>A very musical, very invigorating, very swinging record.
The good and real jazz is still alive. Thanks to Chris Hopkins and three
dynamic kangaroos!<

RHEINISCHE POST (Germany)

>Jazz auf die lässige Art<

JAZZ HOT (France):

>The synthesis is particularly successful on 'Russian Lullaby' where Hopkins
and Washingmachine compete in verve and swing while, even in the evocation
of Django, Blenkhorn's playing remains very steeped in blues. George
Washingmachine is also a singer, who does not lack character, and this
undoubtedly contributes to his success.<

NRW JAZZ (GERMANY):

>Es macht einfach Freude, wie variationsreich Hopkins mit seinem Quartett
unterschiedliche Stilistiken und Grooves des 'traditionellen Jazz’ bedient

und dies auf eine sympathisch-gewitzte Art („sophisticated“) in einer
frischen und erfrischenden Neuinterpretation.<

THE SYNCOPATED TIMES (USA)

>The quartet performs ten jazz standards, sounding relaxed at all tempos
including a few cookers. While one is occasionally reminded of Stephane
Grappelli and Teddy Wilson in the solos of Washingmachine and Hopkins, they
both display their own styles within the swing tradition. The violinist’s
friendly vocals and some nice spots for Blenkhorn’s electric guitar
(inspired at times by Charlie Christian) and bassist Elton (whose steady
on-the-beat accompaniment keeps the music swinging) make their collaboration
a particularly enjoyable listen. What’s not to like?<

AUSTRALIAN JAZZ MUSEUM (Australia):

>A jazz combo of top soloists present a very inspiring record of swinging,
intelligent and melodic improvisations with the soul of jazz. You just can't
keep your feet still during the irresistible drive of this quartet - a
rousing interpretation, which immediately captivates. Fresh, timeless jazz,
without the slightest hint of nostalgia.<

WESTFÄLISCHER ANZEIGER (Germany)

>Inspirierte Improvisationen in ungewöhnlicher Besetzung. Die vier
harmonieren perfekt.<

MUSENBLÄTTER (Germany)

>Höchst vergnüglich, wunder- und stimmungsvoll, swingend, temperamentvoll.
Ein mitreißenden Programm arrangiert, in das man sich genußvoll fallen
lassen kann, ein knappes Stündchen, das einfach nur Freude macht – und
fraglos unser Prädikat verdient, den Musenkuß. Mit Ungeduld warten wir auf
Vol. 2!<

JAZZ IN (France)

Jazz & Radio à l’ère du numérique

Avis de sorties 2020

JERSEY JAZZ (USA)

> These cats are having a ball playing this music!

Chris Hopkins, American-born but a long-time resident of Germany, is also an
accomplished alto saxophonist, but sticks to the piano for this concert.
Washingmachine is a swinging violinist in the Grappelli tradition, and he
vocalizes with the kind of jazz sensibility that so many musicians who play
this music possess. Elton provides strong rhythmic support and shines
particularly on the Oscar Pettiford jazz classic, “Blues in the Closet.”
Blenkhorn is an eclectic player, a straight-ahead swinger who lets you know
that he has absorbed plenty of Django Reinhardt. Put them together and these
cats are having a ball playing this music. You will be similarly pleased
when you listen to it.<

NOTES DE JAZZ (France)

>We are swept away by this 'Live!' recording. This is exactly what it takes
to remind us if need be that life may be difficult for us, but it is always
happy. All of this is very well done and it's one of those little pleasures
that we love to hear again.<

JAZZRYTMIT (Finland)

>Relaxed, timeless playing<

MIDWEST RECORDS (USA)

> When it comes to a date with Hopkins lurking in the bytes, you can always
expect the unexpected. Facing off here against a crew led by George
Washingmachine, the unexpected is a swing program played straight. Like a
crew playing the Hot Club on Django's off night, their groove is right in
the pocket and song list has a few tent poles but veers delightfully from
the tried and true giving the musos a chance to add their flourishes without
purists complaining. Seeing as how this set is a good 80 years outside it's
métier, you couldn't come up with a better sounding you-are-there date. Well
done.<

ONLINE-KUNDENREZENSION (Germany)

Und der Jazz geht richtig ab. Top Empfehlung. *****stars<

Tour & CD-Presentation

27. September - 19. October 2021

CHRIS HOPKINS meets the JAZZ KANGAROOS

* Relaxed, timeless, entertaining, classy, swinging *

> A hip, swinging affair: Cool Vocals - Hot Music <

>From Frank Sinatra to Django Reinhard and beyond

featuring

George Washingmachine/AUS (vio/voc)

David Blenkhorn/AUS (g)

Mark Elton/AUS (b)

Best wishes

CHRIS HOPKINS & Friends

ChrisHopkinsJazz

Echoes of Swing Prod.

Waldenburger Straße 19 B

44795 Bochum

GERMANY

Tel: +49 - (0)234 - 9 731 751

Fax: +49 - (0)234 - 9 731 752

 <http://www.hopkinsjazz.com/> https://www.HopkinsJazz.com

 <https://www.hopkinsjazz.com/shop> https://www.HopkinsJazz.com/shop

 <https://www.facebook.com/ChrisHopkinsJazz>
https://www.facebook.com/ChrisHopkinsJazz

 <https://www.facebook.com/ChrisHopkinsJazz>

*	German Record Critics' Award
*	Prix de l'Académie du Jazz, Paris
*	Swinging Hamburg Jazz-Award
*	Downbeat (USA): 4 stars
*	Rondo Magazine: 'masterpiece'
*	Piano-News: CD of the month
*	Nomination for the 'BMW World Jazz Award'
*	Grand Prix du Disque de Jazz (du Hot Club de France)
*	Keeper Of The Flame
*	Jazz-Pott Award (Best Progressive Artist)

Ab dem 25. Mai 2018 gilt die neue EU-Datenschutz-Grundverordnung.

Meine Datenschutzerklärung können Sie jederzeit einsehen unter:

 <https://www.hopkinsjazz.com/> https://www.HopkinsJazz.com.

Mit diesem Newsletter informiere ich Sie von Zeit zu Zeit rund um die
Aktivitätenvon Chris Hopkins & Friends in unterschiedlichen Formationen.

Ihre Daten werden ausschließlich zu diesem Zweck verwendet und nicht an
Dritte weitergegeben.

Falls Sie den Email-Newsletter nicht mehr empfangen möchten, können Sie sich
durch Antworten mit „unsubscribe“ jederzeit abmelden.

Eine kurze Rückmeldung, warum Sie sich austragen, wäre hilfreich und
willkommen, um unseren Newsletter-Service zu verbessern.