[Dixielandjazz] Streamline Ewing and Caughey Roberts

ROBERT Calder serapion at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 9 13:12:09 EDT 2021

usually it's been a surprise Caughey was pronounced Coshie, rather than
Coshie being spelled Caughey.
The man who lost one of the several jobs Earle Warren took over in the
classic Basie band. No insult Earle Warren was preferred to you. I
remember another of their contemporaries being interviewed on BBC Radio,
astonished that the interviewer could have any doubt that once out of
the army Earle would be back with Basie.

I met Earle in Edinburgh in 1983, and told him a local journalist had
suggested he was a Benny Carter stylist ...

After protesting that the guy was probably young, Earle boldly demurred
and added "BUT HE HAS NOT INSULTED ME."

There was a broadcast I taped, Benny Waters producing his alto "where
you get that old thing?" Earle asked, but the tape I have was matched on
the different gig I attended.
I told Earle I had heard his previous visit to Scotland years before
(Willie Smith had died back then) and the guy who likened his playing
too much to Benny Carter was saying he thought this was Earle's first
visit.

"Hell," says Earle, " I play golf at St. Andrews all the time!"

No doubt in better than Fore! Fore!

Streamline comes out as a sort of virtuoso Ike Rodgers on a recording
where Lightnin' Hopkins plays a little slide guitar.

Lightnin' Hopkins Dillon's Store (1965) - YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyfVD0aKf9Y>

I just checked it out on You Tube,

all the very best,
Robert R. Calder