[Dixielandjazz] RV: Weary Blues

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Tue Jun 8 12:17:28 EDT 2021

Weary Blues:  although we have attempted to get this off the ground several times, this is the first time we’ve actually put it together properly.  I used a Teddy Buckner arrangement he did in the late 1950s, with Couch Roberts – clarinet, and Streamline Ewing on trombone.  I absolutely loved Streamline’s playing!  Very strong horn man.  The ending, which I quite like, was our drummer’s idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeoZkUOZ-78

Our latest video attempt!  Still playing separately, although the pianist did come to my studio & I’m behind the camera (therefore the mask!).  Our trumpeter had his trumpet stolen, and quickly found the little cornet to play.  Sounds good, but he really has a great sound on the trumpet which fits his style better.

The pianist, myself, and the bassist have all had both vaccinations, and we have actually gotten together several times for practice….still taking precautions, though!  The drummer has one shot, and the trumpeter is still waiting for the shots to get down to his age bracket.

We have our first 2 gigs planned in July, and hopefully they will come off ok.  One is outdoors, which will be fine, and the other is a night club that is having gigs at lunch time on Saturdays with a restricted limit of people.  A monster stage, so we can keep our distance.  Still very important for everyone to be careful!

Jim