[Dixielandjazz] regarding my father, Burt Wilson

Steve Wilson steve_wilson at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 11 21:39:10 EST 2021

Hi all,
After poking around my father's email, I noticed this list. I unsubscribed him and subscribed myself. Thanks, Bob Ringwald, for passing along the sad news. I was reading the archive. Loved the story of my dad sending a copy of Shakey and Me! Yes...I spent many an evening in my mother's lap in the backroom of the first Shakey's on J Street in Sacramento! I lost track of the number of Sacramento Jubilees I later attended. Going up to Volcano for 4th of July was another favorite event. I went down to LA to live with my father after graduating junior high in Oakland. He used to play at various Shakey's down there as well. My godfather, Alan Young, another broadcast legend, passed two years ago this month at 90. He hosted a radio show on KSVY-FM in Sonoma. They are still airing reruns of the program. As a former broadcaster myself, I had a lot of fun engineering the program for my godfather and having my father for a guest. I was in heaven!
If any of you have any stories to share about my father, I would appreciate you sharing them! If you don't want to share them publicly, you can send to steve underscore wilson @ yahoo dot com.
Speaking of stories. Here is one for you. A "small world" story. I was a Radio/TV/Film major at Cal State University Northridge. I was working part-time at the school radio station as an operations supervisor, running the audio board for various radio programs, and hosting a classical radio program that I took over from someone who left the station. One night, I was running engineering for two gentlemen. One of those gentlemen (I can't remember the other's name) was Bob Ringwald. Once I realized his connection to jazz and Sacramento, I asked if he happened to know my father, Burt Wilson. Too funny! I had no idea about the connection between those two! Very cool! We now also share the hobby of amateur radio! :-)
Thanks, Steve Wilson
P.S. A had a few obituaries published yesterday in Sacramento, Los Angeles, and Binghamton, NY. They can be viewed at lagacy.com.