[Dixielandjazz] The Napoleon Brothers

Al Levy alevy at alevy.com
Sat Sep 19 16:07:36 EDT 2020

A Happy and healthy YEAR to you (everyone reading this message)!
There were four brothers (not Stan Getz, Al Cohn  etc.) Phil, Marty,
Andy and I forget the other one, maybe Teddy.

There was also a well know Saxophone / Clarinet repair man "Lou", uncle
to the brothers.

I hired Marty on many occasions. Prior to one session, he played Chopin
for about a half hour.
Buddy Rich's manager, my memory is gone, eventually recorded Marty
playing classical music.
The Lp was never released. I was given a test pressing.

What blew my mind  about the family, every Sunday night the brothers
were on the telephone connecting with each other. Andy played drums. I
met him when I was asked to sub at Tony Pastors on West 3rd Street and
8th(?) Avenue. Greenwich Village. I was working across the street at
Mona's, 6 nights a week, Monday night off.
Snap shot inside of Mona's. The singer is Esther Sutherland. The year
1953 or 1954.