[Dixielandjazz] Dr. Jazz license plates

John Blegen jcblegen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 18:27:59 EDT 2020

This discussion reminded me of a vanity plate once owned by my old friend
Jeff Haskell, who taught in the jazz program at the U of Arizona and
established their recording studio.  Jeff's plate was JAZZ ME, and some AZ
bureaucrat looked superficially into the history of the word and decided
that it was obscene.  Jeff's renewal of the plate was denied.  But then the
local paper picked up the story, and that resulted in notice taken by the
great Mike Royko in Chicago.  Royko wrote a scathing column defending Jeff
and scorching silly bureaucrats.  I believe Jeff got his plate back.

John Blegen
Clarinetist in KC MO