[Dixielandjazz] Bobby Hackett in Glasgow

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Mon May 11 09:11:18 EDT 2020

Hi Marek,

I've got hazy recall of the Sudhalter band that night, but I know
Susanah McCorkle was the singer and obviously Dick was on cornet or tpt
and I've a suspicion that the drummer was "Fat" John Cox. The others
have receded into the mists of time and may well have included Peter Ind
on bass (they were only in the hall for just over an hour before
vanishing into the night). Sorry I can't be of more help, beyond saying
it was a very important night in my alleged career: playing very slow
ballads is an art for everyone in the band and keeping the time together
at extremes of tempo is crucial and much harder the slower they are.
Also, because Bobby wasn't well and couldn't blow hard, I played brushes
on the few up-tempo pieces too and thoroughly enjoyed myself: there's a
knack in swinging hard on brushes as it's a very different technique and
feel from playing with sticks, but it can swing just as hard in its own
different way.

Tìoraidh! (Scots Gaelic for 'cheerio' and pronounced 'cheery')

Ken