[Dixielandjazz] Bobby Hackett in Glasgow

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Mon May 11 06:12:38 EDT 2020

Hi Robert et al,

Robert mentions not seeing Bobby Hackett with Peter Ind in Glasgow's
MacLellan Galleries. I was luckier: I got to play with him there, but
not with the excellent bassist Peter Ind. Bobby had been booked to
appear with Dick Sudhalter's excellent band (and Peter Ind may well have
been the bassist in it) as well as Kenny Stewart's Trio, of which I was
one-third in numbers but possibly two-thirds of its volume, had also
been booked to open the show. Dick's band had travelled by train from
London on same-day return-tickets, but someone had screwed up with the
train times and they had to leave at the first interval to catch the
return train to London. Eight to ten hours on a train to play for about
45 minutes then get home about 2:00 in the morning - there's no business
like show business indeed!

And so it came to pass that Kenny's trio was asked if we'd mind backing
Bobby for the second set (Bobby , as the undoubted star of the show, had
flown up from London and was staying overnight with friends near
Glasgow). We of course said something along the lines of "well OK, just
this once" and sorted out a programme with him at the interval. He was
utterly charming and supportive, but he was also very ill with severe
diabetes, so the set consisted mainly of ballads. Needless to say his
playing was gorgeous and tasteful and I played mainly brushes while
marvelling at the quality of Bobby's tone and the subtlety of his
phrasing. A few days later I bumped into a well-known Glasgow drummer
noted for his loudness, technical prolixity and general bombast, who
said it must have been hell playing a 50-minute set of ballads on
brushes. However, I remember it as an honour and privilege to play a
part in such wonderful music, and I really got the "less is more"
message thanks to Bobby.

Cheers,

Ken