[Dixielandjazz] Spain's clubs, due to virus

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Fri Mar 20 06:51:27 EDT 2020

As you all probably know for the international news, everyone in Spain is
confined to their homes, although a few can go to work for necessary jobs.
That means, of course, that all clubs, theaters, etc., have shut down.  The
organization that collects & sends us our royalties for recordings & tv
shows has contacted us all saying they are going to ask for gov't
compensation, but I would think a musician's request will be way down the
line of groups/businesses requesting the same.

As Jean Marc said..not good!  Most of our band is ok moneywise, I believe,
but there is one I am concerned about.  Am keeping in touch with them all
through our band Whatsapp group.  We also have a "Fan Whatsapp group", and I
am sending photos & videos to them hoping to keep spirits up.  Every night
at 8pm everyone goes to their windows/balconies/gardens to clap for the
efforts of all the health workers.  Useless, in reality, but very inspiring
nevertheless.

How to keep busy if isolated?  It was very warm last week, so I did a lot of
gardening.  This week is rainy & colder, so working on some live recordings
of our band in my studio..selecting tunes we've not had on previous
recordings & mastering the recordings.  I'm fortunate to have a garden in
Madrid (mostly apartment dwellers here!), and very, very fortunate to have a
purpose built studio in my home!  Still, performing is what I enjoy, and
certainly miss the interaction with the guys in the band, and with the
audience.

The worst part is not knowing how long this will be going on.  My son, who
is a microbiologist in Seattle, says the anti-malaria drug announced
yesterday may help control the virus in people that are sick, which is great
news if true.

Keep well, everyone, and I would suggest isolation for safety, even if your
gov't has not gotten around to demanding it.  They will, and you'll be ahead
of the game!

Jim