[Dixielandjazz] Check out my band playing Ellington's Awful Sad!

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Feb 6 16:55:16 EST 2020

> Madison T <maditayl at gmail.com> wrote )in part):
> ...Thanks so much for the compliments. I'm so glad to be a part of this email list...Hear i thought Awful Sad was a super unknown tune. I'm also really interested in hearing that second redemption by Ellington's band. So, Bill, when you say it is unreleased, do you mean there is no version out there to listen to?

Dear Madison,
Unfortunately, no.
If the rejected master of the 4 December 1933 Ellington rendition had been in the Victor vaults, it would almost certainly have appeared on LP or CD by now.

I have also located another version of the tune recorded for Decca on 16 October 1940 by pianist/organist Ted Steele and His Novatones for a 5-disc 78 album of Ellington tunes titled 'Mood Indigo'.
  https://www.discogs.com/Ted-Steele-And-His-Novatones-Mood-Indigo/release/10599053
I have found four mp3s of sides from the album, but not "Awful Sad".

Good hunting. Someone on the DJML must have it.

>  Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote:
> I started the "pianoless" discussion by stating that it was strange to hear a pianoless version of an Ellington number.  What I meant had nothing to so with solos, but rather with pianoless rhythm sections.

Dear Marek,
Did you mean to imply that Ellington did not play on his recording of "Awful Sad"?
If so, I agree. I have listened to it a few times times now and these worn-out old ears can't hear a piano in the rhythm section. Not a note.
Try this clean youtube version:
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KulflBW4APE

Cheers to both of you,
Bill.