[Dixielandjazz] Gypsy jazz in Spain

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Mon Feb 3 12:58:17 EST 2020

Madison asked if Gypsy Jazz was popular in Spain.  There are a number of
young bands playing in that style, particularly since the guitar is so
popular here!  However, I don't tend to see them announced in too many
places.  Difficult times for music here ever since the economic crash in
2008.  We used to get a lot of concerts from all over Spain (we're now in
our 53rd year performing here), and a lot of company dinners & weddings,
etc.  However, that all disappeared since that date.  There has been a
slight comeback, but with caches cut at least by 50%.  And, Jazz clubs are
dropping like flies!  We, fortunately, still have gigs, but it is, as all
old folks tend to say, "nothing like the old days!".

Lots of bands, who always berated traditional jazz as being below them, have
of course jumped on the bandwagon now, as people want jazz that is fun to
listen to.  So, more bands to contend with, also!  Flamenco Jazz is quite a
big draw, and there are several really good bands in that category.  Also,
latin music has always been big here.

I'll finish up here with an example of Jazz Flamenco by our biggest
proponent to that gendre, the saxophonist Pedro Iturralde.  This was a tv
show from 1985.  Skip up to minute 1 for the actual band.  It is a mix of
various songs.  I'm the (then) young trombonist with a beard!  I worked a
lot with Pedro in a small band in a night club in the late 1960's, early
70's.  A monster saxophonist!
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JvxLYm0fP8>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JvxLYm0fP8

Jim