[Dixielandjazz] Big Butter and Egg Man

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Fri Sep 27 11:27:16 EDT 2019

>To Bill Haesler's extensive list of "Big Butter & Egg Man"
>originals, including a 1928 silent film, let me add that nightclub
>owner/manager Texas Guinan herself was a former silent film star,
>having made dozens of them.  See her entry at the Internet Movie
>Data Base: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0347345/?ref_=fn_nm_nm_1

Then there's the 1945 film "Incendiary Blonde
(https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037816/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1):
"The life of boisterous entertainer Texas Guinan is recalled from her
poor childhood with a down-on-his-luck father to her reign as the
Queen of the Night Clubs. Along the way, she also finds romance and
heartbreak."  Stars Betty Hutton as Guinan and Barry Fitzgerald as
her father, and the soundtrack is filled with period tunes that
qualify as OKOM.

And in addition to coining the term "Big butter and egg man," Guinan
was noted for greeting patrons to her joint with the epithet "Hello, sucker!"

--
      Dick Baker
  djml at dickbaker.org