[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 17:39:27 EDT 2019

While in London on the 1st and 2nd September I went to hear two bands: Bob
Dwyer's Bix and Pieces at the Globe in Morning Lane in Hackney on the 1st
and the Vitality Five at the Spice of Life (Cambridge Circus) on the 2nd.
Unfortunately, I seem to have misplaced my notes, so I cannot be sure as to
the line-up.  I believe it was Hugh Cozier (p), John Bayne (bs, bass sax),
Duncan Hemstock (clt,ten), Laurie Chescoe (drums)  and an excellent young
German cornet player.  While I cannot remember all the numbers, I find it
hard to believe that any listmate will be too surprised that the repertoire
consisted mostly - although not solely - of Bix-related numbers,
unfortunately including the inevitable Friends with Pleasure.  The band was
energetic, hot and enthusiastic, clearly enjoying what it was doing.  And I
just love the bass saxophone!  Entrance was free, so one just had to help
by ordering some brews!  The atmosphere was bonhomie, which was rather
unfortunate as the level of conversation sometimes completely drowned out
the music, but nevertheless it was definitely worthwhile.
The atmosphere at the Spice of Life was different altogether.  People paid
to enter and njoyed their music - just lovely!  The band, in addition to
the usual culprits - David Horniblow (Clarinet/Bass Saxophone),  Andrew
Oliver (Piano), Martin Wheatley (bjo/guitar) and   Nicolas  D. Ball (Drum)
included one of the best contemporary trumpeters, Enrico Tomasso rather
than the usual Michael McQuaid..  I am not sure whether that was better or
not, as the tight arrangements demanded players used thereto.  But Tomasso
is SO good!  The repertoire was very interesting.  I cannot recall hearing
"That's No Bargain" live other than at Red Nichols  tributes!  It included
rarely paled numbers of the '20's big bands, black and white.  The band
played with a lot of verve, apparently responding to the appreciative
audience.  And, to me, the presence of the big horn made it even better.
And excellent band!  I am looking forward to hearing it again soon at the
Mike Durham's International Classic Jazz Party in Newcastle.
Cheers,
Marek