[Dixielandjazz] Buddy Bolden Movie

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue May 7 16:52:55 EDT 2019

Many years ago, Humphrey Lyttelton recorded an album dedicated to Bolden,
titled " Buddy Bolden's Children:" (Humphrey Lyttelton (cnt, tp, tu), Alan
Elsdon (cnt, tp), Henry Lowther (vln, tp), Russell Davies (vtb), Pete
Strange (tb), John Barnes, Randy Colville (cl), Ron Weatherburn (p), Jom
Bray (b), Colin Bowden (dm)).  It sounds weird - first class musicians
trying to emulate a rather primitive sound.  I was not extremely excited.

“'Russian Lullaby' is an interesting choice because as far as I can tell
Armstrong didn’t record it until his later All-Stars period, and then
without a vocal. But he did likely play it live,"
This reminds me of an Armstrong Audiofidelity album "Plays King Oliver."
One of the tracks is "My Old Kentucky Home," never recorded by King
Oliver.  Arstron's comment: "Well, King Oliver might have played it" (it
made much less sense when the same liner notes were used for the reissue
"The Best of Louis Armstrong").
I could not play the music - I got "This video is not available."
I wonder when, if ever, this film will be screened in Israel.
Cheers (just had a St. Feuillien triple, 8.5% abv, lovely beer!)