[Dixielandjazz] 'New' tunes entering Public Domain?

alevy at alevy.com alevy at alevy.com
Mon Mar 4 16:47:04 EST 2019

As to PD songs - I was on the copyright committee
for ASMA (The American Society Of Music Arrangers)
back in the 1950's. We were petitioning congress to
consider music arrangers as co-composers.
It never happened.

I am currently working on a web page of 100  (pd) songs
copyrighted by Hal Leonard in 1991.

I own much of the original sheet music with the original publishers
name and date. To quote Jolson - "If you don't hear about me then
you'll know I'm in jail." - Toot, Toot Tootsie

If you want titles check out https://alevy,com/midi/nostal.html

Lots of early Gershwin, Irving Berlin, Gus Kahn, George M. Cohan

Maybe I am "losing it" but I can't stop singing "Mandy, there';s a
minister handy"

The company included a few really old folk songs I guess to fill
the book.  It probably totals about two to three hours of music.
Almost all the songs have the verse included. The old, original
piano arrangements are "fun". The new "contrived" arrangements
are for the most part dull. I made up one or two just because I couldn't
take what was written in the book. I also made corrections when I found
lazy or mistaken editing.

A.L.
Please visit me at https://alevy.com