[Dixielandjazz] Jack, an excerpt form Tom Lord’s The Jazz Discography Online:

alevy at alevy.com alevy at alevy.com
Sun Jan 27 16:00:27 EST 2019

This line struck a chord (in me). I worked with a few of these people in later years..(the 50's).
Funny how easy it is to pass over, miss, some really great players, even great jazz players
just because they were never featured nor were they leaders. I remember working with at least
four of the people listed below. The guy that popped out at me was Artie Drellinger.

Bing Crosby (vcl) acc by Yank Lawson (tp) Vernon Brown (tb) Hank D'Amico (cl) Art Drellinger (ts) Buddy Weed (p) Perry Botkin (g) Bob Haggart (b) George Wettling (d) The Jesters (vcl group)

      Artie worked in many studio bands. I worked with him at Decca and also at C.B.S. radio and tv.
      Here's a sample from 1958. The band had one play thru of each tune (3 songs for me,
      2 for chubby jackson and 2 for Dolores Randall) That's seven songs rehearsed in about fifteen
      minutes prior to the show. The studio work was very demanding. One mistake and you never
      got another chance.(of course there are always exceptions)

      I remember a record date with Bing Crosby. The vocal group was "lagging behind".
      The producer, I think it was Tutti Camarata, rapped on the glass window. Everything
      stopped. A voice came thru the loud speakers "Bing, should we cut the kids?"
      To my amazement Crosby replied "Nah! Let 'Em sing."

      Back to Artie Drellinger. If you have the patience, here's a long cut of an arrangement
      I wrote. You should know the tune even though it is more "Broadway" than "OKUM".
      Artie's got a full chorus solo with a 16 measure break for Don Lamond. I remember
      Don commented that I made him "practice". (Bar 16-17 of the tune is a good example)
      Really guys, and gals, see what you think of this tenor solo.

      If you pay attention to the music behind the drum solo - I cut out pieces of the song and
      put them in the wrong place with the wrong rhythms. It could drive a drummer insane! ;}

http://alevy.com/midi/alevy/wul-levy.htm

Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com