[Dixielandjazz] Krum Elbow Blues (was Support live jazz!)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jan 20 17:41:35 EST 2019

>  Steve Voce <stevevoce at virginmedia.com> replied (in part):
> Krum Elbow Blues, recorded on 24 August 1938, is an Ellington classic played by Johnny Hodges. Helen Oakley Dance wrote that "I am not alone in thinking it is one of the greatest things he (Johnny) ever played." It also features wonderful growl trumpet from Cootie and suave trombone from the master, Lawrence Brown.

Dear Steve and Marek,
I would suggest that "Krum Elbow Blues" is a Johnny Hodges' Classic.
Certainly one that introduced me to his' later 1930s small groups many, many years ago.
It was copyrighted by Ellington (of course!) AND its author Johnny Hodges on 31 December 1938.

The tune title presumably comes from contemporary July 1938 US national press reports of the controversial Krum Elbow Creek dispute between President Franklin D Roosevelt and an unfriendly neighbour involving the spite sale of property (opposite Roosevelt's Hyde Park home across the Hudson River) to religious leader Father Devine
Prompting my friend and listmate Robert Calder's 'Hyde Park' reference to this thread?

Refer to http://www.hudsonrivervalley.org/review/pdfs/hvrr_8pt1_casey.pdf
An interesting read.
Cheers,
Bill.