[Dixielandjazz] Krum Elbow Blues

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 20 14:35:39 EST 2019

Steve says:
"Aaargh! Marek the jazz generaliser strikes again. ???"...Krum Elbow Blues, recorded on 24 August 1938,
is (says Steve) an Ellington classic, unknown to Marek, who should have been listening rather to Ellington than to Colyer.

So is Steve asserting that the music in question was  BEYOND OUR KEN ??????

I might draw attention to a poem by a sometime acquaintance and encourager of mine, the Scottish poet Sydney Goodsir Smith (born Auckland, NZ, and referred to as the only kilted Kiwi).Seventy years ago Sydney produced a series of Elegies in which he compares himself, slugabed, between the sheets still some hours after scions of his addressee, Stalin, were up with the lark fomenting revolution. The Edinburgh decadence is emphasized with the line about "cold scummy cup of tea by my bedside,... crumbs of toast under my bum..."
The inability of some to tell arse (posterior, keester etc.) from elbow is registered in an everyday saying.
Perhaps we could have, Americanising the the title,  a "Krum Ass Blues" too?  Biscuits in Bed????

 Perhaps a more comprehensible title than "Krum Elbow" and certainly suggesting some unusual dance moves. Actually "Crum Elbow" (sic)  seems to be posh New York,  Hyde Park.

Anyway, Steve is to be thanked on behalf of anyone he might have introduced to a musical wonder.And I should warn people that somebody (yuichis 3010) has uploaded a dub of this which ought to be removed because the sound quality is execrable  --  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buMJ-u11I2c
The one I unearthed seems fine,have A GOOD BREAKFAST

and many thanks to Steve for the Jazz Journal link !!!!!

Robert R. Calder