[Dixielandjazz] Many thanks and next question about Ken Colyer

Bert mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 13 01:17:01 EST 2019

Hello all, and many thanks for the information, record dates and thoughts about Isle Of Capri. All highly appreciated. Funny how the notes of an Austrian composer travelled!

I guess what Charles mentioned about Ken possibly picking up Isle Of Capri during his visit in N.O. is likely to be an important factor.
By all accounts his "illigal pilgrimage" to N.O. has made a huge impact on him. And his first record of it with Chris and Monty was done quite soon after his forced return to England.

That sparks the next question.
Because of his experience, being arrested by the police and sent back to England (Alledgedly first class on a quite luxurious ship) Ken wrote his composition: Goin' Home. (Not to be confused by Antonín Leopold Dvořák Going Home, or dozens of other songs with that title)
I know that even people outside the traditonal jazz scene, like Van Morrison recorded Colyer's Goin'Home.

Does someone here know more versions by other artists of Ken's Goin'Home?

Thank you in advance!

Bert