[Dixielandjazz] Turk Murphy

Tony Orr orr.tony at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 18:23:32 EST 2019

Steve Waddell's Creole Bells as "the Creole Bells Revival Band" continues
to play the Turk Murphy/Lu Watters repertoire in Melbourne as a 6-piece
without drums, like Turk's band for so long. The last time we had a Yerba
Buena style two trumpet lineup was two years ago with Michael McQuaid who
now lives in England. We did two sets at the Australian Jazz Convention at
Ballarat last week and have gigs booked for the year ahead at festivals,
jazz clubs and, private. We include a lot of original tunes from the
Australian jazz revival which happened at the same time as the American
jazz revival and, was closely related in style. At Ballaarat it was
unashamedly Watters/Murphy which has always been the band's forté.
This was our tune list:
73rd AJC
Set 1    Mining Exchange Room Sat 12.00-12.45
     New Orleans Stomp    173
     Wise Guys         Voc    SW
     My Heart    153
     Oh By Jingo    191    Voc    SW
     Drop That Sack    67
     Do You Ever Think Of Me    ??    Voc    SW
     Dallas Blues    73    Voc    SW
     Grandpa's Spells    94

Set 2    Mining Exchange Room Sun 8.00-8.45
    Irish Black Bottom    117
     San Francisco Bay Blues    221    Voc    SW
     Brother Lowdown     26
     It's the Last Time    139 /237    Voc    SW
     Ragtime Dance    218
     Saloon         Voc    SW
     King Chanticleer    133

Spares    Mabel’s Dream    158
     Georgia Sunset Cakewalk
     The Lonesomest Gal in Town    141    Voc    SW
     New Orleans Shuffle    175
     Whatchcallem Blues
     Down in Honky Tonky Town    66

Tony Orr, bjo