[Dixielandjazz] Turk Murphy

Jean Marc Ternois jeanm.ternois at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 16:30:16 EST 2019

there is an old post in the DJML archives about Duff Campbell's Revenge, I
paste it heafter :

[Dixielandjazz] Duff Campbell's Revenge - who wrote it?*Daniel
Augustine* ds.augustine
at mail.utexas.edu
<dixielandjazz%40ml.islandnet.com?Subject=%5BDixielandjazz%5D%20Duff%20Campbell%27s%20Revenge%20-%20who%20wrote%20it%3F&In-Reply-To=>
*Sat Feb 28 15:59:20 PST 2009*

   it?
   <http://ml.islandnet.com/pipermail/dixielandjazz/2009-February/058126.html>
   <http://ml.islandnet.com/pipermail/dixielandjazz/2009-February/058129.html>
   <http://ml.islandnet.com/pipermail/dixielandjazz/2009-February/date.html#58127>
    [ thread ]
   <http://ml.islandnet.com/pipermail/dixielandjazz/2009-February/thread.html#58127>
    [ subject ]
   <http://ml.islandnet.com/pipermail/dixielandjazz/2009-February/subject.html#58127>
    [ author ]
   <http://ml.islandnet.com/pipermail/dixielandjazz/2009-February/author.html#58127>

------------------------------

Ric--
     Turk wrote it.  Here's the story, from Bob Krenkel via Tommy Loy:

"Bob Krenkel, transplanted Chicoan & big fan of Turk's sent this to me.
Other listmates have asked that it be re-posted.
Glad to oblige...
		Tommy Loy

>* Here is the story:
*>>* Duff Campbell was a big fan of Turk Murphy, his band and music.  It
*>* seems that Duff made a trip to New York, and while there stopped in at
*>* Condon's.  Eddie was at the club that night, and Duff decided to
*>* introduce himself.  Part of the introduction was how he was a big
*>* fan of
*>* Turk Murphy.  Well Condon, in his typical rare (and probably
*>* inebriated)
*>* form, responded by pontificating about the inadequacies of Turk -- how
*>* he and his music were like dinosaurs, antiquated, etc.  Well, this
*>* shattered Duff, and upon returning to San Francisco, he related the
*>* incident to Turk.  Turk laughed it off, and asked Duff not to take it
*>* personally; after all, Condon was just being Condon!
*>>* A while later, Turk was contacted by George Avakian of Columbia
*>* Records.  Avakian had produced several of Turk's albums for Columbia
*>* and
*>* was also a fan.  Avakian informed Turk that he was producing an album
*>* entitled Eddie Condon's Treasury of Jazz, which was tied to an
*>* anthology
*>* being published by Condon at that time.  Eddie Condon would assemble
*>* the
*>* band and the theme would be tunes of various personalities covered in
*>* the book such as Fats Waller, Louis Armstrong, Bix, and Benny
*>* Goodman to
*>* name a few.  Avakian, being a fan of Turks, wanted Turk included, and
*>* asked him if he could send Condon a tune to use in the album.  Turk
*>* responded, "Better that that, I'll write one!"  He wrote it with with
*>* twists and turns, put it in Db, and titled it "Duff Campbell's
*>* Revenge."
*>>* The following is an excerpt from the liner notes of the album, written
*>* by Condon:
*>>*    "If we had been able to cover all the personalities and chapters in
*>* the book without doing a tune of Turk Murphy's, we'd have gladly
*>* ducked
*>* the toughie in this collection, but the Bald Eagle that presides over
*>* the Columbia eyrie insisted that the discipline was good for us.  It's
*>* called Duff Campbell's Revenge and The Head explained something about
*>* the meaning of the title but we were too busy digging the manuscript.
*>* Turk and his boys rehearsed this tune, and they know it inside out.
*>* We
*>* rehearsed it and we still don't.  Frankly, the band staggered through
*>* this one; it's a jawbreaker, and if you don't believe it, listen to
*>* the
*>* general struggle.  I am very fond of Turk -- there's a piece about him
*>* in the book -- but he gave us a severe penance on this one."
*>>* A final note -- On the Condon recording, they play it in Eb.
*>>* Hope this explains.
*>>* Regards,
*>>* Bob"
*------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Ric Giorgi" <ricgiorgi at sympatico.ca
Date: February 28, 2009 5:25:05 PM CST
To: ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Duff Campbell's Revenge - who wrote it?

Oh Great List - can anyone tell me who wrote Duff Campbell's revenge
please? It seems to be credited to Turk but I seem to recall a
discussion here that mentioned it being written by someone else.

Ric Giorgi
Toronto
**     "I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a
**      snake, which I also keep handy." -- W. C. Fields