[Dixielandjazz] mixing one tune with another

Maurice Walker mwalker637 at aol.com
Wed Feb 20 15:01:57 EST 2019

 Subject: [Dixielandjazz] a sensible set list
Rocky wrote:
>>Interspersing fast, medium tempo, and slow music (so that you don't play
too many of the same tempo in a row) is very important.
<<
And Jim wrote:
>>We go a step further and make sure we don?t follow a tune in F, for example,
with another song in F.  Dunno if it makes a difference to the audience, but
it helps the band not end up mixing one tune with another.  Try playing an
up-tempo Margie followed by Avalon, for instance, and you?ve got a good
chance of some band member slipping back into playing Margie during his
solo!!  Not really the best of examples, as we wouldn?t probably ever follow
one fast tune by another, but the mixing of tunes has happened to the best
of us (if you?re willing to admit it!)
<<
Extreme example of mixing up tunes:  In the seventies the Queen City Jazz Band (Denver) started out playing Coal Cart Blues.  When we got to the trio, everybody looked around at each other as we realized that along the way we had seamlessly moved into Sidewalk Blues.  When we were done, we announced what had happened and elected to try it again.  This time Coal Cart Blues arrived at the trio as Riverside Blues.  Not having learned our lesson, we tried it again.  Upon reaching the trio, Coal Cart Blues had morphed into yet another number, which I have mercifully forgotten.  Since the third time had not been the charm, we moved on to something else.  Other criteria for constructing a set list:  Follow a multi-strain number (Fidgety Feet, say) with a 32-bar song.  Or a Blues. Similar but not quite the same: mix structured numbers with those that allow more stretching-out room for your soloists.  Don't do consecutive songs by the same band or same composer (so your tune announcer isn't as likely to have to repeat her- or him-self).  Don't do back-to-back numbers by the same vocalist.  This of course doesn't apply if you are bringing up a featured vocalist in mid-set. Maurie WalkerSemi-retired Queen City banjoist