[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Festivals

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 07:00:05 EST 2019

Jazz festivals are dying.  Most audiences are old and dwindling, while
admission prices are often too high for young people (if they have ever
even heard of OKOM).  But some festivals expose young audiences to jazz.  A
good example is the Breda Jazz Festival, where "concerts are held on
various stages dispersed across Breda’s historic city centre, and all
outdoor concerts are free! An entrance fee is required for the special,
indoor concerts (the exact fee depends on the concert)."  True, it is no
longer "The Oude Stijl (old style) Jazz Festiva," but it exposes all
passers by to the various types of music featured.  Stages are scattered
over the centre of town.  So there is some sound overlap, often too much
where heavily amplified rock or zydeco bands are featured near OKOM stages,
but nevertheless people hear the music!  I have seen there four
generations, from toddlers to great grandparents, walking by or stopping to
listen.  Jazz is featured at open air restaurants and cafes, exposing more
people to music (oh, were it not for the Grotte Kirk bells which went off
every 15 minutes when I was there last).
The last time I was in Bude there were places with music which did not
require tickets, so that families had lunch with jazz - again exposure of
kids of various ages to OKOM; bands, or solo pianists, also played in parks
or squares.  In Keswick, bands were playing in some pubs without entry fees.
Cheers